Saturday, August 25, 2007

Fast



This is what happens when you don't take it slow. The family visit from Canada was just over, and my mind turned to the admin caca kind of work that was piling up, the irritating general disorganization of the house, the sadly empty fridge and I seemed to need to just pile it on even higher. In my mad (might be literally so) rush to super achieve last Saturday, my left foot went out from under ("Stop it! I just can't move that fast!") and broke with a sharp stabbing snap.

For five days I was mostly immobile, but, god forbid, not idle. Thanks to high speed Internet and home networks, I put in 7-8 hours a day from bed. Now with my boot cast, I sit anywhere and plug away. Makes me really proud that I haven't lost any time.

But I have six weeks recovery to go. I'm starting to give in to the limited ability to move. So here's what I've begun to notice about being forced to take it a little more slow:

It helps to have a life partner. I don't know what I would do without my husband to do stuff for me. I'm reminded that I need to not take that for granted.

I've listened to an entire 2-CD set in one sitting, something I haven't done in too many years to recall. I could swear I'd heard "If It Be Your Will" by Leonard Cohen on this CD before, but I don't think I had realized how much I liked it until yesterday.

I've read the NYT and WSJ and this week's New Yorker cover to cover, something I haven't done all in one week let alone day in too many years to recall. I have started to notice the small bits of coverage that you know will emerge as page one stories in a few months or years. If you are in a rush, chances are you'll miss these and gripe about the lousy reporting job the MSM is doing, like I do all the time.

I visited 1:1 with a friend for an evening that stretched to almost midnight (way past MY normal weeknight bedtime) without once twittering, checking email, updating my Facebook page or scanning the daily blogs, and I came away with a few new things to think about that I would not have gotten from afore-mentioned activities.

The next month will be tough for a mad dasher like me, but there's lots to savor in the down time.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home